Thurles Leisure Centre (run on behalf of Thurles Town Council) Installed the 500 kW Biomass Boiler in 2011/12. The Town council, aided by Tipperary Energy Agency procured the boiler on a D.B.O type contract in 2011 and the system was handed over in February 2012.
Some Key facts:
- The pool will save approx. €68,000 per year in energy costs.
- This equates to 44 extra visitors per day paying €5 per visit.
- The CO2 equivalent saving is that of 160 cars removed off the road.
Heat load in kWh – 1,500,000
Biomass cost – €47,000
Equivalent LPG cost @ – 55c/litre €115,000
Saving – €68,000
Capital Cost – €160,000
DoTTS Grant – €136,000
CO2 Saving in Tonnes – 400.00
Tipperary Energy Agency’s role was:
- Feasibility Study
- Funding application
- Project Management
With DoTTS Grant Aid
Simple Payback in Months 6
10 Yr NPV €496,000
10 Yr IRR 194%
Without Grant Aid
Simple Payback in Months 30
10 Yr NPV €377,035
10 Yr IRR 59%
Key Innovation: Contracts
- Design Build Operate Contract
- Contractor pays for all oil, maintenance, chip etc.
- Single heat supply contract fixed at 3.8c/kWh for 5 years
- All losses, breakdowns covered by contractor
- Chip supplied locally.